Here are two things I learned from this session:
1) The purpose of social media is to drive traffic to websites.
2) Websites come before using social media. "Eat your vegetables (website) before you eat dessert. Social media is dessert."
I have been thinking about these things and how websites and social media relate to each other.
Here are some tips for nonprofits:
Analyzing Visitors, Fans, and Followers
- Check your website analytics and see what your top pages are on your website. This is what your visitors are interested in. Make sure this content is posted on social media.
- What type of content are your fans on Facebook commenting on, asking about, or liking? What are people retweeting or talking about on twitter? Are you putting enough content about these topics on your website?
Content to Share on Social Media
- Press Releases
- Campaign Pages
- Fundraiser Pages
- Event Pages
- Volunteer/Job Opportunities
- New Additions to Website
I look forward to attending NTC in DC next year!